Thursday, July 17, 2008

Biking Adventures

Let me tell you, Custer State Park is a big park. We chose this 15 mile loop. All the other trails were out an back.

The Good: The weather was nice, not tooo hot sometimes overcast.
The Bad: Many elevation changes
The Ugly: The awful trail markings. (15 mile trip went longer and not even on the trail as mapped)

Some spectacular scenery, lots of climbs (and descents) and the trail markings for this loop were horrendous. You know you're in trouble when three people who work at the park, tell you "hmm, I think you go this way and this is the first time we were asked this" Well do you think you should look at your own maps that indicate these trails exist?


Anyway, based on the GPS track we did not follow the trail as it was marked, er drawn on a map. Lord knows we tried, got 2 miles into the 'right trail' only to have it dead end into a large pile of cut trees. We back track and continue. Nearing the end of our ride, which is getting very long, I took me helmet off to cool off. Joel goes on without me and I have to waste more time to find the helmet clip that just fell off. (never found it). I look up an Joel is coming back up towards me.


"We have to go another way".
I asked "Buffalo?"
"yep", he replies.
"How many?"
"One, large one"
"In our way or off the side?"
"Basically on the trail"
"Oh."
Not giving up so late in the game,we picked up our bikes hiked them up and around the Bison, through some woods. All good.

No comments: